UC Davis Math 108 - Intro to Abstract Math
Instructor: Robert Krone,
Office hours: M 1-2 pm, W 11-12 pm, MSB 3145.
Section B: MWF 3:10 - 4:00 pm, Wellman 6
TA: Alto Senda,
B01 discussion: T 5:10 - 6:00 pm, Olson 205
B02 discussion: T 6:10 - 7:00 pm, Olson 250
Office hours: R 2-4 pm, MSB 2127.
Section C: MWF 9:00 - 9:50 am, Chemisty 166
TA: Joseph Pappe,
C01 discussion: T 4:10 - 5:00 pm, Olson 163
C02 discussion: T 5:10 - 6:00 pm, Olson 163
Office hours: R 4-6 pm, MSB 3125.
- A Transition to Advanced Mathematics by D. Smith, M. Eggen, R. St. Andre (8th edition preferred, but any edition is ok).
Problem sets are due in lecture on Friday. They must be typed in LaTeX and printed out. You may collaborate with groups of up to four to work on the problems, but each student must write up and submit their answers individually.
- Problem Set 1 (due Jan 18): pdf file, tex file.
- Problem Set 2 (due Jan 25): pdf file, tex file.
- Problem Set 3 (due Feb 1): pdf file, tex file.
- Problem Set 4 (due Feb 8): pdf file, tex file.
- Midterm Exam (Feb 13): Topics list and practice problems.
- Problem Set 5 (due Feb 22): pdf file, tex file.
- Problem Set 6 (due March 1): pdf file, tex file.
- Problem Set 7 (due March 8): pdf file, tex file.
- Problem Set 8 (due Mar 15): pdf file, tex file.
- Final Exam (Mar 19, 22): Topics list and practice problems, solutions.
Grades:Grades are posted on Canvas.
- Homework: 50%
- Midterm exam (Feb 13): 20%
- Final exam (Mar 18-22): 30%
Other useful books:
- How to Solve it by G. Polya.
- Distilling Ideas by B. Katz, M. Starbird.
- Installation tutorial.
- Overleaf (free online LaTeX editor and compiler).
- Problem set template (.tex).